Saturday, October 30, 2010

Battling Cancer Together: An ARA & Her Dog

Hello, My name is Dawna and my dog Suzie and I are both battling cancer

This is my Suzie Q. She came to me about 10 years ago, just before I was diagnosed in Sept. 2001 with Stage 3 Breast Cancer. When I had my surgery for it in 2002, Suzie never ever left my side. At that time she was able to jump up on my bed & sleep or just stay right beside me if I ever needed her. After going through a radical right mastectomy with limpnoid removal & 6 months of chemotherapy, she showed more compassion then any human ever could. When I went through Chemo, it almost killed me, several times. Several times I had fallen and couldnt get up, but she was there for me and I would tell her, go get Daddy (my husband Ed) & she would!!!! She would find him no matter what & bark, run to me, then go to him, bark & then run to me. I would have died if not for this girl! She is now battling Cancer herself as well & I want to be there for her! Her vet bill so far is in excess of $900.00. and she will need continuing treatment and care. Being on disability with my husband only receiving retirement from social security, we have pawned or sold everything to save our girl. My plea to fellow animal lovers and advocates is to help us to be able to help her. She deserves all the time she can get but I need help paying her vet bills. So far she is doing well but after talking to our vet, her days are few so we are enjoying what time we have left with each other so I can tell her just what a special girl she really is! In January 2010 I was diagnosed with Liver cancer & Suzie was diagnosed with a mast cell type cancer. Her & I went through surgery at the same time. Me in Shands at Gainesville University & her at Dr. Amy Huff in Leesburg, Fl. We both came through our surgeries amazingly enough with the same amount of sutures!. We went through our rehab together & now she had to have surgery again to remove a tumor blocking blood flow to her leg. If anybody can please help us, I would be eternally grateful! She saved my life, I'm just trying to make her life good until we have to say our farewell.
Contributions to Suzies fund are not tax-deductable but will be greatly appreciated.
Contributions can be made directly to the vet at:
Suzies Fund
c/o Animal Clinic of Leesburg
1231 W. Dixie Ave.
Leesburg, Fl 34748.
Tele# (352)326-8940
Thank you
Dawna Christy & Suzie

(352) 429-8058

Thursday, October 28, 2010

The American Research Facility Animal Experimentation Entitlement Act

Otherwise known as the Federal Animal Welfare Act, enacted to codify that animal experimentation is "A-ok" in the USA...

Monday, October 18, 2010

A Tough Call Tomorrow: Big Eyes Failing

A little way into this short vid you will meet Big-Eyes,(at 0:54 sec.) an ex-feral we rescued about 5 years ago but he came with a severe case of peridontal disease and we and our vet have been battling with it ever-since. He has had most of his teeth pulled over the years, and has been on un-ending regimins of anti-biotics and predizone and even steriod shots. Over the last couple of days he has taken a turn for the worse. Doc says she belives the infection has gone to the bone in his jaw and now is even effecting his breating (sinisus). His mouth is swollen to the point where he cant even close it no more and his tounge is sticking out. Hes drooling and mouth bleeding and now trouble breathing...Poor thing hasent eaten much at all in days...he tried, but cant seem to manage even liquids anymore without going into pain. Even pain meds dont help at this point. We have tried everything short of removing parts of his jaw. Trip to the vet in the morning for one more (final?) evaluation but it does not look good for him. I simply cannot stand by and watch him suffer and slowly starve to death. Tomorrow it will be tough-decision time.

RIP Big Eye
Humanely Euthanized and Passed Peacefully in My Arms as I Wispered Sweet Nothings in His Ear and Scratched Him Behind the Ears.

Someday I will tell you the story of what we went through with Big Eye's and his peridontal disease. We thought we were doing everything possible, extracting teeth, antibiotics and predisone everyday,...near the end we tried steroid shots but it didnt do any good...but what I am finding out through further research into this disease makes me wonder,...did we really do everything possible? Was there another course? Was there a better way? Was there something we overlooked in the way of treatment and/or prevention? I cant get this question out of my head, but the answer is a definate "I think so." I hate to say it...but I think we missed an opportunity to increase his chances of survival. For starters, waay back when the vets first started pulling his teeth, a few at a time cause they wanted to save the ones they could,.... I think, given his history and problems with peridontal disease, that ALL of his teeth should have come out...the hell with trying to save a few ... these are the ones that got re-infected and ulcerated. These are the ones that let the infection get to the bone, all the while on predizone....hummmm. I am SO sorry Big-Eye. In our ignorance and BLIND FAITH in our vets, we could have done better by you. You might have still been with us today. At least you are out of pain and for that I am glad. We miss you.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Horses in Danger in Upstate NY

gelding, bay, stocky hackney/welsh X, stands for farrier, trlrs, 15yrs 13.2H, drives only, not broke to ride, companion/driver,

$350 Feura Bush, NY (518) 269-2447

Thursday, October 14, 2010

What to do about Duke.

Duke, our old new england that we rescued from a fighting ring several years ago, got kicked by the donk and got himself mortally wounded. Had him to the vet who several days ago said it appears as if his chest bone was broken but said as long as he is up and around and eating well, he might be ok, as long as there was no internal bleeding. He did alright for a few days, but this morning I found him on his side, not moving. No reaction when I called him and cold to the touch, though he did raise his little head when I petted him. No doubt in my mind that he is dying. Vet says best way to end his suffering is to "give him the axe." God I hate this part of loving them. Thinking now what shall I do? I would really rather he go on his own but how long should I wait? What would you do? Advice please..

Update: Took Duke to vet same day to have him properly euthanized. RIP Duke. You were a good boy.