Saturday, October 30, 2010

Battling Cancer Together: An ARA & Her Dog

Hello, My name is Dawna and my dog Suzie and I are both battling cancer




This is my Suzie Q. She came to me about 10 years ago, just before I was diagnosed in Sept. 2001 with Stage 3 Breast Cancer. When I had my surgery for it in 2002, Suzie never ever left my side. At that time she was able to jump up on my bed & sleep or just stay right beside me if I ever needed her. After going through a radical right mastectomy with limpnoid removal & 6 months of chemotherapy, she showed more compassion then any human ever could. When I went through Chemo, it almost killed me, several times. Several times I had fallen and couldnt get up, but she was there for me and I would tell her, go get Daddy (my husband Ed) & she would!!!! She would find him no matter what & bark, run to me, then go to him, bark & then run to me. I would have died if not for this girl! She is now battling Cancer herself as well & I want to be there for her! Her vet bill so far is in excess of $900.00. and she will need continuing treatment and care. Being on disability with my husband only receiving retirement from social security, we have pawned or sold everything to save our girl. My plea to fellow animal lovers and advocates is to help us to be able to help her. She deserves all the time she can get but I need help paying her vet bills. So far she is doing well but after talking to our vet, her days are few so we are enjoying what time we have left with each other so I can tell her just what a special girl she really is! In January 2010 I was diagnosed with Liver cancer & Suzie was diagnosed with a mast cell type cancer. Her & I went through surgery at the same time. Me in Shands at Gainesville University & her at Dr. Amy Huff in Leesburg, Fl. We both came through our surgeries amazingly enough with the same amount of sutures!. We went through our rehab together & now she had to have surgery again to remove a tumor blocking blood flow to her leg. If anybody can please help us, I would be eternally grateful! She saved my life, I'm just trying to make her life good until we have to say our farewell.
Contributions to Suzies fund are not tax-deductable but will be greatly appreciated.
Contributions can be made directly to the vet at:
Suzies Fund
c/o Animal Clinic of Leesburg
1231 W. Dixie Ave.
Leesburg, Fl 34748.
Tele# (352)326-8940
Thank you
Dawna Christy & Suzie

(352) 429-8058
sidetraked@directv.net

7 comments:

  1. please try pycongenal and coQ 10 as well as transfer factor for both of you. My dog lived nearly ten years after he was diagnosed. They cut the tumor out but we did not do chemo. If you need advice or help feel free to call. You can and will make it through this, both of you.
    Dawn-USAP 404 444 9014

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for what you both are going through. That you are standing by her is testimony to your character. I will donate what I can. Wish I could pay the whole bill. Lots of love and prayers for the both of you. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just everybody having so many comforting thought is helping so much. I know I am not alone in these battles. But when we both have to fight this incureable diesease, doom never seems far away & is hard to be optimistic. All your comments & help are appreciated from the bottom of our hearts. Thanks & God Bless all of you for caring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today I said goodbye to my faithful friend. She was suffering & I promosed I would never ever let my animals suffer. Here is something I've always lived by. Author Unknown.......
    A Dog' Plea

    Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.
    Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I might lick you hand between blows, your patience & understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.
    Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps fall upon my ear.
    Please take me inside when it is cold & wet, for I am a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.
    Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food so that I may stay well, to romp & play & do your bidding, to walk by your side, & stand ready, willing & able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.
    And, my friend, when I am very old, & no longer enjoy good health, hearing & sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun. Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.

    IN LOVING MEMORY OF SUNNY, BEN & SUZIE Q, THE THREE AMIGOS! I WILL SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE MY TRUE & FAITHFUL FRIENDS............... YOUR MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I received a call this morning from a lady name Millie all the way from Oregon. She has kindly made a $100.00 donation to my vet bill. I WANTED TO WRITE THIS & PERSONALLY THANK HER FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART. GOD BLESS YOU MILLIE FOR HELPING ME OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Dawna, I just read your post and the others. I am so sorry for what you are going through. To lose your constant, loyal, loving companion at this time must make it so much harder. You are an amazing person for what you are going through. I wish you well so that you can make another animal as happy as Suzie was. Best Wishes for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I understand that Suzie's time had come and the decision to put her down was made...my heart goes out to Dawna but I encourge all to help her with her vet bills if you can. She has a cat now in intensive care. She is a great champion of animals and without our help she would not be able to help them. Thanks for caring fellow advocates..

    ReplyDelete