Monday, June 1, 2009

My Plea to the Service Dog Community & a Reply

From: Christine [mailto:Cjubic@nycap.rr.com]
Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2009 11:14 AM
To: XXXXXXX
Subject: Web Inquiry / Adopt-Your-Service-Dogs

Hello,

I saw an ad in the local paper about your wonderful guide dog program.

I am an animal rescuerer and have successfully placed several of our qualified dogs into the Rensselaer & Saratoga Co. Sheriffs Depts. K-9 units.

I was wondering if you might be interested in perhaps helping us to place some of our young dogs that might be suitable for training as seeing-eye guide dogs.

I am not sure where you get your dogs from, private breeders or you may be breeding your own. I dont know, but I do know that there is a pet-overpopulation problem in our country today and even retired service dogs and "service dog rejects" are showing up at our pounds and shelters. The wise thing to do for anyone concerned about this is to STOP breeding and adopt whenever possible.

Of course, any dogs that we have that might be suitable for your program will be signed over to you at no cost. We have only (2) provisions in our contract (besides adequate care) and that is no breeding and if the placement does not work out, the dog should be returned to us.

Right now I have a wonderful young (just turning a year old) half-rottie half-chow female dog that is very smart whom I think would make an excellent seeing-eye dog. "Baby" was a "chain-dog" whom we recently rescued. She is a friendly dog who gets along with everyone and eveything (even chickens and cats!) so she is not easily distracted. I have noticed she is of exceptional intelligence also, and eager to please. I have attached a few pics of her with this email.

I hope that you will give the idea of becoming "rescue friendly" some serious consideration. As you may know, most rescues and shelters are straining under the burden of "so many unwanted" pets due to the financial situation. "Forclosure pets" is a new word in the rescue biz.

Hoping you and your org might be interested in taking in some rescued dogs for possible inclusion into your program.

It most certainly would help us to place more dogs, but more importantly, it would help the dogs find good loving "forever" homes.

Thanks for hearing me out. Call me if you want (518) 753 - 7791

Christine A Jubic, Founder,

Quarter Acre Rescue Ranch

http://www.freewebs.com/mulekist

"Because We Care"

-------------------------
A Reply:

Hello.

My position at Guiding Eyes for the Blind is administrative and I personally have no responsibility in placing our dogs. I have forwarded your email to the appropriate person. While I doubt that we can help you in your endeavors as our mission is in the producing and training of guide dogs, I will pass on your request. Hope you are successful in your noble cause.

XXXXX XXXXX
Canine Development Center
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
----------------------------------------------------------

Breeders. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment